Election Worker Information
Thank you for considering serving in your local community, performing an important civic function ensuring the continuity of the democratic process.
Did you work the 2023 Municipal General Election?
Please consider providing input on our feedback form.
It is important that all workers understand the responsibility of the election process and the commitment involved in making everything happen. The State of Indiana and St. Joseph County require an election official (this does not include Techs) to meet certain criteria including:
- Able to read, write and speak the English language.
- Resident and eligible voter in St. Joseph County, or 16- or 17-year-olds with appropriate permissions filed
- No property bet or wagered on the result of the election.
- Not a candidate to be voted for at the election in that precinct, except as an unopposed candidate for a precinct committeeman or state convention delegate.
- Not the spouse, parent, father-in-law, mother-in-law, child, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece of a candidate who is a candidate to be voted for in that precinct.
- If Inspector, not the chairman or treasurer of the committee of a candidate whose name appears on the ballot.
- Attend the training required to serve in your position
In ensuring an efficient, comfortable environment and process that instills confidence, additional qualities are emphasized for public servants:
- Reliable, committed and prompt
- Respectful and courteous to voters and one another (Election Day is a long haul!)
- Able to behave in a nonpartisan manner
- Focused on and comfortable with assigned role
- Flexible to adjust specific duties if required
Available training times will be posted approaching the election on our training page, where workers will be able to sign up for specific training sessions, in-person or virtually, view training materials and more.
To guarantee your appointment to a specific location, please contact your preferred political party. Indiana code guarantees the two major political parties the right to appoint poll workers to each Election Day location. After a statutory deadline before the election, the Election Board is permitted to assign workers to fill any existing vacancies. Your application on this site will identify you as available to work, and available for appointment by the Election Board.
|St. Joseph County Democratic Party||St. Joseph County Republican Party|
|Chair: Diana Hess||Chair: Tyler Gillean|
|Phone: (574) 288-8683||Phone: (574) 299-1388|
|135 S. Lafayette Blvd.|
South Bend, IN 46601
419 N Hickory Rd
Are you a High School student? You can participate through the Hoosier Hall Pass Program! Download the Student Poll Worker form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org or have it delivered to our office in the County-City Building.