Is my business in a Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA)?

WHPA's under the Health Department’s WHP Program cover large portions of South Bend, Lakeville, Mishawaka, Walkerton, North Liberty, and New Carlisle as well as unincorporated areas of the County. WHPA's are usually circular or elliptical in shape and may be several miles in length.

If a business is near a public water well or large water tower, there is a good chance it is in a WHPA. Some businesses have been informed by their public water supply company that they are in a WHPA. If you do not know if your business is in a WHPA, contact your local public water system or the Health Department to find out for sure.

St. Joseph County Health Department

Show All Answers

1. Why is protection important?
2. Is my business in a Wellhead Protection Area (WHPA)?
3. Do I need a Wellhead Protection Permit to operate my business?
4. What are the risks of non-compliance?
5. Where can I get more information?
6. How can I obtain a Wellhead Protection (WHP) permit?