Health Department Medical Reserve Corps:
During an emergency, whether it is a naturally occurring disaster or otherwise, volunteers are needed to perform volunteer tasks throughout the county. Some of the things that St. Joseph County Medical Reserve Corp Volunteers may be called upon to assist with in emergencies can be found on the web page referenced above.
CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates):
sjccasa.org or call 574-233-CASA (2272)
Are you ready to change a child’s life? Join a national network of more than 85,000 trained volunteers who stand up for the best interest of a child who has experienced abuse or neglect. CASA volunteers stand up for the best interests of children who have been abused or neglected. Appointed by judges, they speak up for the child’s needs in the courtroom and community.
We need your help to ensure that every child has a champion, a CASA volunteer. The CASA Program of St. Joseph County currently has hundreds of children waiting for an advocate.
Contact Jennifer Hack at JWelch@sjcindiana.com. Due to HIPPA regulations, volunteers at Portage Manor must pass a limited background check prior to volunteering.
1) Sorting clothing donations for our "clothing room" . This is an effort to cloth those in need that reside here.
2) Assisting in Laundry folding linen and restocking linen closets
3) Assist with organizing Activity Storage Cells.
4) Assist during meals (serve trays etc) or Lunch Buddy (come and sit with residents and have lunch with them, a lot of people have no family and would love the company). Breakfast is 7a-8a, Lunch is 1130a-1230p, Dinner is 5p-6p.
5) Pen Pals ( we have some who never get mail and do not have family or friends that write, this would be a great way to bring some happiness to those who have so little).
6) Assist with activities and special events. Christmas bingo is 12/12/18 and our Christmas party here is 12/20/18. Different outings and activities could use extra help at times.
7) Outside landscaping/yard clean up.